The Outland Challenge features a USA Triathlon sanctioned Sprint Triathlon as well as a challenging, 4.4 mile run around Lake Cochrane. The Outland Challenge will begin and end in Lake Cochrane State Park. This 88 acre park features 30 camp sites, modern restrooms, showers and a beautiful natural sand beach. Lake Cochrane is one of South Dakota’s cleanest lakes while the terrain surrounding the lake is hilly with many streams, oak covered draws and wide open, rolling prairie.
- Buoys will mark the course. All swimmers must keep the buoys to their right.
- Lifeguards & Rescue Team will be in the water and on the beach until the last athlete exits the lake.
- Wetsuits will follow USAT policy (see rules).
- Swim caps will be provided and are required.
- Bikes with Bar Ends are required for this race.
- Volunteers will be on the course at all intersections providing direction to athletes and controlling traffic.
- Local law officials will be on the course as well helping to ensure the safety of all athletes.
- Helmets are required for the bike ride. You will be disqualified if you do not wear a helmet.
- Your bib number must be visible on the front of your helmet and bike frame.
- The Outland Challenge features a scenic run-leg around Lake Cochrane.
- You must finish with your bib number visible on the front of your body.